Here at Domino, we’re always looking for ways to elevate our cocktail party game. One of the hallmarks of great entertaining is serving fare that’s inventive and all your own. And infusing unique ingredients into classic cocktail and hors d'oeuvre recipes is an easy place to start.
Enter Zia Green Chili Company: a leading purveyor of green chiles from the Hatch Valley in New Mexico. The company rose to popularity at Brooklyn’s Smorgasburg market, and today their chiles are the only ones of their kind roasted and shipped to New York City year round.
If you infuse Zia’s trademark chiles into your favorite liquors ahead of time, you can throw together a last minute get-together just moments after you receive that “Happy hour?” group text. Keep reading for a few delicious dips and cocktail recipes that feature both smoky and sweet chile varieties, as well as a guide to infusing liquors from our friends at Zia Green Chile Company.
Hatch Chile Guacamole (serves 4)
3 Ripe Avocados
½ Medium Onion, Diced
1 Tsp Minced Garlic
1 Tsp Salt
1 cup (½ jar) Zia Hatch Green Chiles
3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
(Optional) Pinch of Red Chile Powder
1. Peel and pit the ripe avocados, dice onion, and juice lime.
2. In a bowl, mash together the avocados, salt and lime juice.
3. Mix in onion, cilantro, Zia Hatch Green Chiles and garlic.
4. Stir in Red Chile Powder.
5. Serve immediately, or refrigerate.
Zia Hatch "Pimiento" Cheese Spread
1 Cracker Barrel extra-sharp white Vermont cheese, grated coarsely
1 Cracker Barrel extra-sharp yellow cheese, grated coarsely
1 cup finely grated aged Parmesan
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 Jar Zia Hatch Red Chilies, drained
1 Tsp Onion powder
1 dash of black pepper
1 cup Hellmann’s mayonnaise
1 dash of fresh lemon juice
Pinch of Red Chile Powder
1. Combine all ingredients with a fork or wooden spoon.
2. Refrigerate covered for at least three hours.
How to Infuse Liquors With the Chiles
The beauty of Zia Green Chile Company’s Hatch Chiles is their high versatility. One of our favorite things to do is use them to flavor up our drinks, and it’s incredibly easy to do so!
1. Pick out your favorite liquor (Tequila, Vodka, etc.).
2. Strain a jar of Zia Hatch Green or Red Chiles (use the Green for a more powerful smoky, spicier flavor and the Red to add a sweet & mild earthy underlying spice).
3. Empty the liquor into a mason jar.
4. Add at least 1 cup (½ jar) strained Zia Hatch Chiles.
5. Let sit in cool, dark place at least 3 hours (Best results come after letting sit multiple days).
Zia Green Chile Margarita Recipe
1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
8 oz Zia Hatch infused tequila of choice
½ cup strained Zia Hatch Chiles (optional for additional Hatch flavor and texture)
1 Fresh Lime (cut for final aesthetic)
Salt and Red Chile Powder (for rimming the glass)
1. If using additional Zia Hatch Chiles, place into bowl with lime juice and muddle together.
2. Mix lime juice and infused tequila into cocktail shaker.
3. Pour into salt rimmed glass with ice. (To rim the glass, use a cut lime around the edges and dip in Red Chile / Salt mixture).
Zia Prickly Pear Cocktail
16 oz Lemon Juice
1 cup sugar
¼ cup Prickly Pear Cactus Syrup
48 oz water
Zia Hatch Infused Vodka
1. Mix together the lemon juice, sugar, and Prickly Pear Syrup.
2. Add water and stir again.
3. Pour into ice filled glass and add 1 shot of Hatch Infused Vodka.
Zia Umami Bloody Mary
1 quart freshly squeezed Liquiteria tomato juice
1 finely chopped jalapeno
1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
1 finely chopped jalapeno
1 cup Zia Green Hatch infused vodka
1. Combine all ingredients in a shaker, shake and pour over ice.
2. Garnish with a roasted Hatch chili, olives and celery.