With a crust made from nothing but dates and almonds and a heavy- on-the-berries filling, this isn’t just gorgeous, it’s actually good for you.
Serving the pie.
Two people enjoying strawberry pie
Raw Strawberry Pie
- 2 lbs. fresh strawberries, tops removed, quartered
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (about 1⁄2 of a lemon)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1 3⁄4 cups pitted dates
- In a bowl, combine strawberries, lemon juice, vanilla and brown sugar. Mix well, and let sit while you make the crust.
- Place almonds in a blender or food processor and pulse on high until they resemble bread crumbs, about 1 minute.
- Empty into an oiled 9" pie plate. Put dates in blender with 1 tsp of water and pulse on high until well chopped, about 30 seconds (it’s okay if they’re a little clumpy).
- Combine almonds and dates until they hold together, then press evenly onto bottom and sides of pie plate to form crust.
- Using your hands or a slotted spoon, pile berries into the crust, discarding any remaining liquid. Refrigerate for 2 hours and serve.
Published on June 27, 2014 - 5:29pm EDT