strawberry cream pie
A sweet quick-to-bake dessert.
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries, (about 4 pints), tops removed. Plus 4 additional strawberries, sliced (for the topping)
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups graham-cracker crumbs
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Place 2 pounds strawberries in a blender and blend on high until pureed, about 10 seconds (do in two batches if necessary).
- Combine milk, sugar, and cornstarch in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, and whisk until dissolved.
- Add the strawberry puree and lemon juice. Cook on high heat, whisking frequently, until the mixture is thick and bubbling, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Place graham-cracker crumbs in a 10" 1 1/2" deep pie plate, drizzle with melted butter, and mix until all the crumbs are moistened.
- With the back of a spoon, press evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate to form a crust.
- Pour strawberry filling into crust and let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, place heavy cream in a mixing bowl and, using an electric mixer, blend on high until stiff peaks form.
- Add confectioners' sugar and blend for another 10 seconds. Using a spatula, spread the whipped cream over the filling. Add reserved strawberries to top and serve.
Published on July 06, 2014 - 12:00pm EDT