With their rich purple hue and earthy flavor, beets make a perfectly autumnal dish.
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 3 bunches baby red beets
- 2–3 sprigs thyme
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 whole cloves garlic
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Remove the stems from the beets and toss them in a bowl with all remaining ingredients except olive oil. Make an aluminum-foil pouch for the beets and seal it tightly.
- Roast the pouch in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until the beets are tender and offer little resistance when tested with the tip of a knife. Discard the thyme and garlic.
- Cool the beets slightly and rub the skins off with a kitchen towel. Cut into chunks and toss in a bowl with olive oil and season lightly with salt.
Published on August 04, 2014 - 2:17am EDT