lemon poppy seed bread
A deliciously indulgent treat that's perfect for breakfast and just sweet enough for an afternoon snack! By Ashton Keefe
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon, divided
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix oil and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until the mixture is fully incorporated.
- Add the evaporated milk, milk and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in lemon zest, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and poppy seeds.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out with moist crumbs. Let the cake cool for 20 minutes in the bundt pan. Remove from the pan before serving.
- To make the lemon icing, combine remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice with powdered sugar and whisk until there are no lumps and sugar is moist.
- Drizzle over cake and allow it to harden before serving.
Published on April 16, 2015 - 1:02pm EDT