Have furniture at home in need of a refresh? Or, are you shopping for furniture and it’s all so plain-Jane? We're calling removable wallpaper to the rescue. There are an abundance of vibrant patterns and colors currently on the market, all for a great price. The best part? It’s temporary. You don’t need to commit to that pineapple pattern forever—once you've tired of it, simply peel it off and swap for something else.
Read on the see how we transformed this basic Ikea bar cart into a print-perfect scene. Consider it one of our new favorite Ikea hacks.
What You’ll Need:
1. Choose your furniture and the area you wish to cover. If it’s a particular drawer or shelf (or, in the case of this specific project, two levels of the cart) you wish to cover, see if removing them is possible. It’s significantly easier to cover something that is not already attached to a larger structure.
2. Using a wet paper towel, clean any dust or debris from the furniture—even a small fleck-of-something will haunt you later as you go to apply the decal as smoothly as possible.
3. Create your template. Using a flexible measuring tape, carefully measure the exact dimensions of the area being covered. Replicate those dimensions on tracing paper, using a pencil and ruler to create an exact replica of the area being covered.*
5. Use your template to create the decal pieces. Lay the template on top of the removable wallpaper or decal. Be sure to trace on the side that does not display a pattern as you don’t want to see pencil marks on your freshly upgraded furniture! Trace carefully, then cut out the wallpaper or decal using a craft knife and detail scissors.
6. Check your work again by matching the decal sections to the area being covered. Trim if necessary.
7. Carefully apply the decal—with the help of a friend, if possible (an extra set of arms can go a long way here: one person peels back the decal while the other smooths the adhered surface). Slowly peel the backing off of the decal and press onto the surface of the furniture.
See more easy-to-accomplish DIYs:
Add Some Sparkle to Your Bar Cart With This Easy DIY
You Can Create These Geometric Wall Hooks Yourself
Last-Minute DIYs to Cross Off Your 2017 Bucket List
Isn’t it time you got the news you actually want? Sign up for your daily Domino email here.