easy bread recipe
Homemade bread? Just in time for fall, a simple recipe for the all-star carb.
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, approximately
- In large bowl, add the warm water and very slowly stir in the dry yeast. Continue to stir until dissolved. Add salt, sugar, shortening, and milk to bowl. Stir.
- Mix in the first 2 cups of flour. If needed, begin adding more flour, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough chases the spoon around the bowl.
- Place dough onto floured board and knead, until the dough is soft and smooth, not sticky to the touch.
- Put dough in buttered bowl, turn dough over so that the top of dough is greased. Cover and let rise in warm spot for 1 hour. Punch down dough. Turn out onto floured board and knead.
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees F.
- Form dough into loaf and set in buttered bread pan. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Score dough by cutting three slashes across the top with a sharp knife. Put in oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Turn out bread and let cool on a rack or clean dishtowel.
Published on September 15, 2014 - 5:58pm EDT