1. Follow the sugar cookie recipe
, chill dough, roll out to ¼ inch, and cut out circles that are 2 to 3 inches in diameter.
2. Chill cut cookies for an hour, or freeze for 30 minutes.
3. Bake cookies at 350 for 6 to 8 minutes, until the edges are just slightly browned.
4. Prepare royal icing to flood consistency
5. Divide the icing and using the food dye, color one half of it red.
6. Fill two squeeze bottles or icing bags with the red and white icing (if you do not have a squeeze, you can use a Ziploc
, but it is harder to control), and pipe the border of all the cookies in a white outline. If you are new to royal icing, practice on parchment paper first.
7. Go back and fill the center of a cookie with white icing and, while it is still wet, add big drops of the red icing around the perimeter.
8. Using a toothpick, gently guide/drag the red icing toward the center of the cookie, then starting from the outside going in, swirl the icing to create a beautiful spiral.
9. Wait at least 24 hours for the icing to completely dry.