Unsweetened chocolate takes the edge off the pecan filling, and the shortbread-cookie bake is ideal for those who would never think of baking a crust from scratch.
Ingredients (Serves 9)
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus 6 tablespoons melted, plus 5 tablespoons melted
- 1 package (7 oz.) shortbread cookies
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Grease a 9" pie plate with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Place the shortbread cookies in a food processor, and pulse a few times to combine.
- Transfer mixture to the pie plate, and press firmly and evenly to form a crust.
- Place the plate in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, salt, corn syrup, chocolate, 5 tablespoons melted butter, and pecans; stir until the mixture is fairly uniform.
- Take the pie plate out of the freezer, and place on a baking sheet.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the pie plate, and put in the oven.
- Bake for 55 minutes, remove, and let cool completely before serving.
Published on November 11, 2013 - 6:00pm EST