cantaloupe blocks with bleu cheese
Blue cheese pairs with melon for a mouthwatering and surprising treat. Recipe by Alison Lueker-Ritter of Sun in my Belly.
Ingredients (Serves 12)
- 1 cantaloupe, peeled and cut into 1” blocks
- 4 very thinly sliced pieces of cured speck ham (may also use thin prosciutto instead), cut into 3 pieces, length-wise
- ¾ cup crumbled bleu cheese such as Stilton or Gorgonzola
- ¼ cup good quality honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Gather a clump of bleu cheese and place on top of each cantaloupe box, pressing firmly.
- Wrap each block tightly with a piece of the speck ham so that the seam of the ham is underneath the cantaloupe. Set aside to chill if not using right away.
- Meanwhile, over a very low heat in a small saucepan, heat the lemon juice, honey, and black pepper so that it is soft and slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. This can be done ahead of time.
- When you are ready to serve the cantaloupe blocks, arrange on a serving platter and brush or spoon a little of the black pepper honey over the top.
Published on July 14, 2014 - 12:00am EDT