acorn squash with sweet bread crumbs
Acorn squash gets a sweet southern cooking twist.
Ingredients (Serves 9)
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon dark-brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Cut each squash in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out and discard the seeds.
- Cut each half lengthwise into four wedges, and arrange on a sheet pan, with a cut side facing down.
- Drizzle with half the olive oil, and sprinkle with half the salt.
- Flip and repeat.
- Place the pan in the oven and roast for 50 minutes, or until the pointed edges appear golden brown and crisp.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small pan on medium heat.
- Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring continuously, until they are completely toasted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Immediately remove and pour into a small bowl, let cool and toss with the brown sugar.
- Arrange the cooked squash on a platter, and sprinkle with the bread crumb mixture.
Published on July 25, 2014 - 12:00pm EDT