Photo: Brittany Ambridge
5 bargain-hunting shopping secrets
Here's how to play the market like a pro.
1. The early bird gets the worm! At many markets, you can gain early entrance by paying a little extra. “It’s worth it,” Spencer says. “You avoid the line and get a first look at what’s there.”
2. If you’re not an early riser, however, don’t worry. Dealers come to sell and don’t want to pack a bunch of items back into their trucks at the end of the day. Most are willing to lower their prices a bit in the final few hours of a market.
3. Cash is king. It’s much easier to negotiate when you’re paying with bills.
4. Stick to your guns. Be fair, and offer the dealer what you believe is right. But if you can’t live without the piece, be flexible.
5. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Always be kind and professional with the vendors, and never insult an item. If you don’t like the price, walk away politely.