turkey roulade with boozy dates
A roasted turkey breast stuffed with delicious boozy dates.
Ingredients (Serves 12)
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup cherry liqueur or brandy
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 turkey breast, deboned and butterflied
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Add chopped dates to a small bowl. Gently heat liqueur to a simmer and pour over dates, allowing them to reconstitute for 5 minutes. Pour off excess liquid.
- In a large bowl add egg and whisky gently, add breadcrumbs and stock, mixing until wet crumb-like mixture. Add dates, onion, apple and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Lay bird flat and season evenly with remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Stuff the inside cavity (not skin side) with “stuffing” and roll up. Tie with string and place in a roasting pan or in an oven-safe pan. Get fancy (if you please) and place over a bed of potatoes, carrots, celery or autumn fruit.
- Roast for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 155° F. Tent and allow the temperature to rise to 165° F. Slice and serve.