toasted barley salad
The perfect toasted barley salad tossed with mushrooms and crispy kale.
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 1 bunch curly kale, de-stemmed and torn into large pieces
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 cups dried barley
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 lb. assorted mushrooms, such as cremini or shiitake, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Place kale on a sheet tray and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook for 10 - 12 minutes, until kale is crispy and dry. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot and toast barley for 2 - 3 minutes until slightly fragrant. Cover barley with water and bring to a simmer. Salt the water generously and cook until al dente, about 20 minutes.
- While barley is cooking combine shallot, lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Whisk in 1/2 cup olive oil and toss with cooked barley, while warm. Add kale.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sear 1/4 of the mushrooms and season with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Repeat three more times, using 1 tablespoon and 1/8 teaspoon of salt with each batch. Add mushrooms to barley and toss to incorporate all ingredients. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.