Alexandra's Kitchen Summer Vegetable Strata
Alexandra of the beautiful Alexandra's Kitchen says, "The virtues of a strata are endless: no-fuss, feeds a crowd, well-suited for any number of vegetables." She uses the shredder attachment of her food processor to quickly transform zucchini, summer squash, a head of broccoli (stem and all), and a block of cheddar cheese into strata-ready sized wisps. By Kristy Woodson Harvey
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 10 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk (2% would probably be fine, too)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 zucchini
- 1 summer squash
- 1 very small head broccoli
- 8 oz. cheddar or gruyère
- 13 oz. bread
- herbs (parsley, basil, cilantro)
- garlic scapes (if you have them)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and salt together. Set aside.
- 2. Using the shredder attachment of the food processor, slice up the zucchini, squash, and broccoli. Send any cheese in block form down the shoot as well.
- 3. Cut the bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Add to the bowl of eggs. Add the vegetables to the bowl as well. Finely chop the garlic scapes and herbs. Add to the bowl and toss everything together.
- 4. Butter a 9×13-inch baking dish. Pour egg mixture into pan. Cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 40 to 50 minutes longer. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.