steamers with vermouth and thyme
The best steamers (also known as soft-shell clams) are the Ipswich variety.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 dozen soft-shell clams, scrubbed
- 1 cup dry vermouth (or white wine)
- 4 sprigs thyme
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, cook shallots
in butter until soft, about 5 minutes. Add clams, vermouth and thyme.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until clams have opened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Discard any clams that don’t open. Pour off most of
the broth and place in little bowls, to be used for dipping.
- Serve with melted butter and crusty bread.