seared tuna with olives and tomatoes
Melt in your mouth tuna paired with unexpected flavors.
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup (about 4 oz.) kalamata olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped if large
- 8 plum tomatoes, chopped (4 cups total)
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- 4 14-oz. tuna steaks, 1" thick
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Place a wide, heavy-bottomed pan over high heat.
- Add 1⁄4 cup of the olive oil, the olives, capers, tomatoes, and thyme into the pan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until a thickish sauce is formed but the tomatoes still retain their shape, about 5 minutes. Transfer the sauce to the edges of your serving platter, and wipe the pan clean with a paper towel.
- Place the pan back over high heat. While it’s heating, rub the tuna steaks with the remaining olive oil and the pepper.
- When the pan is smoking hot, place the tuna steaks in it in a single layer (if necessary, do it in two batches).
- Cook the tuna for about 3 minutes, until it turns white halfway up the sides.
- Flip and cook until just a tiny bit of pink remains on all sides, another 2 minutes or so (for medium rare).
- Slice the tuna on a cutting board into 1⁄4" slices. Arrange in the center of the serving platter.