sausage date stuffing
Turkey's sidekick gets an unexpected upgrade from sausage and dates.
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 1 1/2 baguettes, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 3 stalks celery, sliced thinly
- 1lb bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 12 pitted dates, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Put the baguettes cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet, and place on the bottom rack of a cold oven.
- Turn the oven to 500, and cook for 7 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip bread over, let cool on pan, then cut into 1 1/2 cubes.
- Meanwhile place a large pan over medium heat. Add olive oil, onion and celery, then cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and add bread cubes. Toss well to combine. Cover to keep warm. Serve straight from pan.