salad of spring vegetables
Fresh leafy goodness topped off with a tangy lemon and pepper dressing.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 1 bunch thick-stalked asparagus
- 2 cups shucked peas
- 3 heads Gem lettuce, washed, trimmed, and leaves separated
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- juice of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4-5 mint leaves
- zest of 1 lemon
- Remove the bottom 1 inch of the asparagus spears and discard. Cut off the tops and reserve. Peel the tough outer layer of the spears with a vegetable peeler and discard. Peel the remaining spears in long strips. Place the peelings into a bowl of ice water. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus tips and peas and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water until chilled and then drain. To assemble the salad, toss the lettuce, asparagus peelings, olive oil, and salt in a serving bowl. Drizzle the lemon juice over the salad and arrange the peas and asparagus tips over the top. Crumble the ricotta over the salad and season with black pepper, torn mint leaves, and lemon zest.