potato and corn fritters
potato and corn fritters topped with herbed goat cheese and tomatoes.
Ingredients (Serves 18)
- 2–3 large russet potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sweet corn, frozen
- 2 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2–3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 package cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package herbed goat cheese
- fresh basil
- Poke holes in the potatoes, all around. Wrap in a single, damp paper towel. Microwave for 5 minutes on high. Flip over and microwave for 5 minutes more or until tender. Do the same for the second potato. While they are still hot, cut the potatoes in half and scoop out the middle into a 1-cup measuring cup. You need 1 cup of packed, cooked potato. If you need more, microwave the third potato to make up the difference. Run the 1 cup of potato through a potato ricer and smash with a fork.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs. Add the potato and stir vigorously. Stir in the corn, yogurt, salt, and pepper and add 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour until a thick batter forms. If the batter is runny, add the third tablespoon of flour.
- Spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Drop 2 teaspoons’ worth of batter in the pan for each fritter, pressing down to make a round of 1½ to 2 inches. Fry until golden brown and then flip the fritters and continue frying until golden brown on the other side, about 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Toss the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Crumble or smear about a teaspoon of goat cheese on a fritter and then top with tomato along with a basil leaf.