bittersweet orange punch
A simple make-ahead signature punch.
Ingredients (Serves 150)
- 6 navel oranges, halved lengthwise and sliced thinly
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon bitters
- 24 bottles sparkling wine, chilled
- Combine the oranges, sugar, and 8 cups of water in a large glass bowl; cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 8 minutes.
- Remove and stir to dissolve the sugar; add bitters and stir to combine.
- Allow mixture to cool completely, then pour into two round cake pans; cover and freeze overnight.
- One hour before you plan to serve punch, remove one cake pan from freezer, and dip into a pan of hot water for a few seconds, to loosen ice.
- Place the frozen round in a large punch bowl, and pour 6 bottles of sparkling wine on top. Let sit until ready to serve, then add 6 more bottles of sparkling wine as needed.
- Shortly before this punch batch is gone, repeat the process with the second frozen round and case of sparkling wine.