maple cornbread with bacon and scallions
A scrumptious side that incorporates many favorite stuffing flavors into one pan of cornbread.
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 2 tbsp. butter, plus 4 tbsp. melted
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1/4" pieces
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups stone-ground yellow commeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Grease a 10" cast-iron skillet with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Heat a medium-size frying pan over medium heat, add the bacon, and cook until it begins to get crispy, about 6 minutes.
- Add the scallions. Continue to cook, stirring often for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, egg, maple syrup, and 4 tablespoons melted butter.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir with a fork.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and stir gently to combine.
- Pour the batter into the buttered skillet, sprinkle the cooked bacon and scallions on top, and bake until set in the middle, about 25 minutes.