A Mediterranean flair on this timeless dish.
Ingredients (Serves 12)
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk at room temperature
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 black pepper freshly ground
- 40 cherry tomatoes rinsed
- 3 heads of fennel rinsed tops removed and sliced into wedges
- 40 fingerling potatos
- 40 small (but not baby) carrots
- 40 baby pattypan squash
- 12 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 lbs fresh cod fillets
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Place egg and egg yolk, garlic, and lemon juice in a blender and mix on high for 5 seconds. With blender still on, gradually add the olive oil in a thin stream until all the oil is incorporated.
- Stop to scrape down the sides of the blender once or twice if necessary. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For the cooked vegetables, bring 3 inches of water to a boil in a pot with a steamer insert. Add one type of vegetable and cover: Cook until pieces are tender but not falling apart.
- Remove steamer, set vegetables aside, and repeat with remaining vegetables. For the eggs, place in a pot and add cold water to cover by one inch. Cook over high heat. When the water comes to a boil, remove pot from stove and cover. Let eggs sit for 17 minutes, then submerge in a bowl of ice water. Peel, then slice in half.
- Preheat the oven to 375. Arrange a long piece of aluminum foil lengthwise across a large rimmed baking sheet, shiny side down, allowing foil to hang six inches over the edge on each side.
- Place two pieces of foil, each twice the width of the baking sheet, width-wise across the top of the first piece of foil so that they overlap in the middle and hang equally over the top and bottom. Spread the olive oil evenly over the entire surface.
- Cut the cod into 12 filets of roughly the same size, and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt.
- Create a tent over the fish by crimping edges of the foil together. Cook for 20 minutes.