Brigadeiro Ice Cream
Mount Desert Ice Cream Company, Bar Harbor, Maine
- 1 ¾ cup whole milk, divided
- 2 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1, 12 oz can evaporated milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1, 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water; set aside.
- Mix 1 ½ cup milk, cream, evaporated milk and sugar in a medium saucepan and warm over medium heat and bring base to a boil; boil for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Combine condensed milk, cocoa, butter, salt and remaining ¼ cup milk in a medium saucepan. Warm over medium-low heat and cook until ingredients are combined.
- Raise heat to medium and continue cooking until thickened, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into ice cream base.
- Return entire ice cream base to medium heat, whisking to combine ingredients. Remove from heat and pour into a medium bowl. If lumps of cocoa powder remain in the base, use an immersion blender to completely incorporate ingredients.
- Set bowl in the ice water bath until cool to the touch, about 20 minutes. Refrigerate for at least two hours or until completely cool, preferably overnight.
- When the base is thoroughly chilled, pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Note: Add a teaspoon of fine sea salt to this recipe to make a Salty Brigadeiro.