A chopped, well-seasoned slaw that makes the perfect side.
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, small dice
- 1 cup carrot, small dice
- 1 head Savoy cabbage, cut into 1⁄2" strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- 2–3 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock or chicken stock
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF. In a Dutch oven or a large pot with a lid, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and sweat the vegetables.
- Stir in the cabbage and garlic and season lightly. Add the thyme and bay leaves, white wine, and water or stock.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and place in the oven to braise for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the cabbage has reduced in volume and the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Season cabbage with black pepper.