boozy cherry coffee cake
take your coffee cake from teatime to cocktail hour with this boozy cake.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- Crumble topping:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup Grand Marnier or orange flavored liquor
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup crème fraiche
- Remaining liquor from cherries
- About 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 9” cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine all topping ingredients and using hands smash until a “crumble” forms. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan heat Grand Marnier until just simmer and pour over dried cherries, allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes. Pour off excess orange liquor and save.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and crème fraiche and mix until combined.
- Repeat for dry ingredients and pour batter into the cake pan. Top with crumble and bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Combine remaining liquor, adding more as needed, with powdered sugar and drizzle over cake.