blue corn tostada with pulled mole chicken
A light and festive way to serve chicken at your summer soiree. Recipes by Alison Lueker-Ritter of Sun in My Belly.
Ingredients (Serves 16)
- 4 blue corn tortillas, each cut into 8 triangles
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken thigh
- 1 tablespoon mild olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced finely
- 4 tablespoons prepared Mole paste
- ½ cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup fresh mango, cut into very small dice
- 1 small Serrano chile chopped finely, with all seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon finely diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the oil until very hot over high heat. Add the tortilla triangles and fry until crisp, 1 minute.
- Remove the chips with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and set aside.
- In a another medium sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, and add the chopped onion. Sauté until soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the Mole paste and sauté briefly, 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and stir to combine. Lower the heat to simmer and allow the sauce to reduce slightly, until thickened and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary. Add the shredded chicken thigh meat and toss to coat completely. Set aside until ready to assemble the tostadas. May be made one day before serving.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use. If made ahead, rewarm in a 400 degree F oven for 8-10 minutes or until hot all the way through.
- In a small bowl, combine the mango with the Serrano chile, red onion, fresh mint, and cilantro.
- Toss with the vegetable oil and lime juice and season to taste with salt and fresh ground pepper. Assemble the tostadas on a serving platter or tray, top each tortilla chip with some of the shredded Mole chicken mixture.
- Top with a little mango salsa, garnish with fresh cilantro leaves if desired. Serve immediately.