Grandma’s Sweet Apple Cabbage Soup
To be honest, the inspiration for this soup came from a video game I had been playing at the time. Watching my Nordic warrior warm himself with a bowl of this sweet and savory stew after an afternoon of chasing dragons, I was reminded of a similar dish my polish grandmother used to make. Goes great with pork!
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil or butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon (or 1 stick)
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ - 2 lbs cabbage (red or green is fine), chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 apples, sliced thin
- ¼ lemon, squeezed
- 6oz yogurt (greek preferred) or low fat sour cream
1. In large pot over medium heat, sauté onion with oil (or butter) until it softens.
2. Add spices and stir until fragrant (another minute or two).
3. Stir in cabbage and let cook until it softens (approx 5 minutes).
4. Fill pot half way with water.
5. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Add honey, salt and apple slices.
7. Continue to simmer until apples are tender (approx 30 minutes).
8. Finish with lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream.