asparagus and fresh shallots
Thick asparagus is more deeply flavorful than the pencil-thin variety, and shallots add a kick.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 bunches thick asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place water in the bottom of a steamer pot, and bring to a boil.
- Set asparagus inside the steamer insert and cook, covered, for 4 to 6 minutes. Asparagus should be tender, but still maintaining its shape. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together mustard and vinegar.
- Add the olive oil in a very thin stream, whisking constantly, until a thick emulsion forms. Place asparagus on a platter, drizzle with dressing, and top with shallots and pepper.