amalfi salad with reduced red wine vinaigrette
A light and mouthwatering salad filled with watermelon, crumbled feta, olives, and topped with a red wine vinaigrette. Recipe by Alison Lueker-Ritter of Sun in my Belly.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 8 loose cups of baby arugula
- 20 oil cured black olives
- 1 cup peeled and thinly sliced, seedless watermelon
- ½ cup good quality crumbled goat’s milk feta cheese
- ½ very thinly sliced red onion soaked in room temperature water for 15 minutes and drained thoroughly
- ½ cup leftover red wine
- fine sea salt
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a medium sauce pan, bring the wine to a boil over high heat. Boil until reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside to cool thoroughly.
- Combine the reduced wine and salt in a jar. Cover and shake to dissolve the salt. Add the oil and shake to blend. Taste for seasoning.
- On chilled plates, arrange large piles of baby arugula on each. Tuck in the watermelon and red onion evenly among the 4 plates. Stud each plate with 5 olives each (they are very salty, a little goes a long way). Crumble over each salad a little of the goat’s milk feta, and drizzle with the reduced red wine vinaigrette.