1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Divide all but 1/3 cup of the almond cream over the bottom halves of the croissants. Cover with the top halves, using your hand to flatten the croissants just slightly. 3. Spread more almond cream over the top of the croissants with an offset spatula, leaving some of the edges bare. Sprinkle with almonds.
4. Bake on the prepared baking sheet until the cream is cooked through and the top is golden brown, about 20 minutes, covering the top with foil if needed to prevent overbrowning. Serve warm or at room temperature.
HOW TO MAKE ALMOND CREAM Almond cream, or frangipane, is a sweetened ground-almond or almond flour base for desserts, pies, tarts, and more. Use this as a base for almond croissants and tarts, or swap in your favorite nuts.
INGREDIENTS 1 cup unsalted room-temperature butter
1 cup unbleached raw sugar
2 cups ground almonds or almond flour 4 eggs 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup oat, whole-wheat white, or all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
DIRECTIONS 1. Cream together room-temperature butter and unbleached raw sugar until light and fluffy (2 minutes.) Add ground almonds or almond flour and beat together.
2. Add in 2 large eggs and 2 egg yolks, one at a time, and then vanilla extract. Stir in flour and sea salt, scraping the bottom for any dry or unmixed bits, until the mixture is evenly fluffy and smooth.
3. Store in a container with an airtight lid in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Makes enough for 12 almond croissants.